Friday, August 20, 2010

A cold-blooded summer

Lindsay saw this turtle crossing the road. I left work to come and see it. I tried to pick it up but it kept snapping at me (really fast). I finally picked it up and it clawed me with his back legs and made me bleed, almost like a pin prick. I gave up and used a cloth bag to pick him up and put him in the woods. He made one final snap at me, completely spinning 180 degrees around and lurching about 3 inches. These things are not nice.


This was the first of two black widows we've killed this year. This picture is just scary.

These skinks are everywhere, almost no fun to catch anymore.

Here is a broadheaded skink, a little more fun because they bite viciously.

This black widow was in the kid's playground. We saw it coming out just before nightfall. Scary.

One of many types of small frogs we squish riding in the car after a rainstorm. Again, ho-hum. They live on our house and eat our bugs so we like them.

This is my most exciting catch of the summer. Every other time I've seen a bullfrog, it hops away so quickly that I can't possibly catch it before it disappears into a pond. I finally caught one.

1 comment:

Kimbosa said...

These are awesome Nate! I saw them when they went up on the site, but I can not sign in to blogger at work so I just got a chance to say, "AWESOME!"