Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day Hike...Owls and a Western Diamondback

Gage and I went on a small day hike. We tipped over some trash and walked down a few ditches. In one ditch, Gage yelled, "Dad, look out! A huge snake!" I did not see it but he said it was right under my leg as I stood over the ditch. Then, on the way back, I found this guy in the same spot. He was a Western Diamondback rattlesnake, about 4.5 feet long. Gage wanted nothing to do with it. He was huge and I had to get a picture or two. His rattle had 12 rattles on it's tail. I could not touch my fingers around its body it was so thick around. He must have been at least 9 inches in circumference. Nothing to mess around with for sure!







This is a burrowing owl. They live all over by my brother's house. He was just sitting on the edge of a ditch waiting for some food. I love his eyes.

1 comment:

ashley said...

creeeepy! cool pics kim!